Boston Redevelopment Authority
The Boston Redevelopment Authority, established in accordance with General Laws, Chapter 121B, has the sole responsibility for urban renewal activities in the City of Boston. The Authority was organized in September, 1957 and received its certificate of organization from the Secretary of the Commonwealth on October 4, 1957. Chapter 652 of the Acts of 1960 abolished the City Planning Board and transferred its powers to the BRA. The functions, duties, and responsibilities for general city planning and development were merged into one agency. In 1993, Mayor Thomas M. Menino merged the Boston Redevelopment Authority and the Economic Development and Industrial Corporation into a single citywide development agency.
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Photographs and negatives documenting urban renewal projects, circa 1953-1985. Includes photographs from the West End, Government Center, South Cove, Central Business District, Charlestown and other urban renewal projects. Photographs and negatives are in process and will be added to catalog record when complete.
Includes annual reports and other publications produced by the Boston Redevelopment Authority.
Urban renewal plans and applications referred to the City Council Committee on Urban Renewal. Includes Government Center, West End, Charlestown, Campus High, Downtown-Waterfront-Faneuil Hall, Central Business District and others.
Includes minutes, correspondence, reports and issues of the SEPAC newspaper.