Town of Hyde Park records
Scope and Contents note
The records of the Town of Hyde Park span the years 1868-1912 and are divided into eight series: Town Clerk records; Voter registration and election records; Assessor records; Collector records; Treasurer records; Town Engineer records; School Committee records; and Publications. Records include town papers which document the activities and decisions of the town, tax records, financial records, voter registration records, filings and annual reports.
The volumes are numbered chronologically within each series. The boxes are numbered chronologically within the entire collection except for the oversized flat boxes which are numbered separately. Restrictions have been placed on a portion of the collection due to the fragility of the records. The Town Papers are extremely fragile because of the poor quality of paper used at the time. The oversized land plans are in extremely poor condition and will require repair work. The Archivist will make the determination of what may be accessed. Additional records of the Town of Hyde Park are currently stored in the Boston Public Library Rare Books and Manuscripts Division.
- Creation: 1868-1912
- Hyde Park (Boston, Mass.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access note
Records in poor condition are restricted.
The Town of Hyde Park was created from lands ceded from Dorchester, Milton and Dedham. A group called “the Twenty Associates” led by Alpheus Perley Blake began the development of Hyde Park during the 1850s-1860s with the purchase of 100 acres on Fairmount Hill overlooking the Neponset River. Hyde Park was incorporated as a town on April 22, 1868. The population of the town grew quickly due to it surroundings and convenience to Boston by rail. Hyde Park became home to many manufacturing companies along the Neponset River. In 1912, Hyde Park became the last town to annex to Boston. The population of Hyde Park had dramatically increased due to the influx of immigrants to work in the mills. The City of Boston wanted the tax revenue from the factories located in Boston. The act of annexation was accepted by the residents of the town of Hyde Park on November 7, 1911 and annexation to Boston took effect on January 1, 1912.
Source: "Images of America: Hyde Park" by Anthony Mitchell Sammarco and "Planning a City on a Hill: Boston since 1630" by Lawrence Kennedy
49.0 Cubic feet (263 volumes, 9 boxes, 8 flat boxes and 3 flat file drawers)
Language of Materials
- Guide to the Town of Hyde Park records 1600.001
- Finding aid prepared by Kristen Swett
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- With funding from a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC)