Department of Neighborhood Development adminstrative files
Scope and Contents
Administrative records of the Department of Neighborhood Development from 1979-2008
- Creation: 1979-2012
- Boston (Mass.). Department of Neighborhood Development (Organization)
Chapter 642 of the Acts of 1966 established the Public Facilities Department for the more efficient and economical construction and alterations of municipal buildings. The Department of School Buildings was abolished and its functions in part were transferred to the Public Facilities Department and to the School Committee. The Public Facilities Department is under charge of a board known as the Public Facilities Commission appointed by the Mayor. The Public Facilities Department merged with the City’s Neighborhood Development and Employment Agency in the fall of 1985. In December of 1992, the Office of Capital Planning was incorporated into the department.
By Chapter 6 of the Ordinances of 1994, pursuant to St. 1953, c. 473, the powers and duties of the Real Property Department’s Property Division, created by the Real Property Board under the authority of St. 1943, c. 434 were transferred to the Public Facilities Department. By Chapter 6 of the Ordinances of 1994, pursuant to St. 1953, c. 473, the Alterations and Repair Unit within the Construction and Repair Division of the Public Facilities Department, and the functions and duties of the Enforcement and Communications programs were transferred to the Real Property Department. The Real Property Department was renamed the Property Management Department by section 3 of this ordinance.
In November of 1997, the agency changed its name from the Public Facilities Department to the Department of Neighborhood Development (DND) to better clarify its functions to the public. The name Public Facilities Department was retained for all legal purposes.
85.0 Cubic feet
Language of Materials
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script