Skip to main content

Sumner Tunnel lantern slides

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: 8300.003

Scope and Contents

These lantern slides were found in garage at a house in West Roxbury that was formerly owned by Albert L. O'Banion. O'Banion was a consulting engineer on the East Boston Traffic Tunnel project (now known as the Sumner Tunnel) and he would later become the Superintendent of the Fire Alarm Division of the Boston Fire Department.


  • Creation: circa 1935


Historical note

The Sumner Tunnel (originally the East Boston Traffic Tunnel) was Boston's first underwater harbor tunnel, opened on June 30, 1934. During opening ceremonies, Mayor Mansfield declared that the tunnel should be known as the Sumner Tunnel, named for General William Hyslop Sumner. Gen. Sumner was integral to the 19th century development of Noddle Island - the island that would eventually become East Boston.


61 Photographic Slides : lantern slides

Language of Materials


Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the City of Boston Archives Repository

201 Rivermoor St.
West Roxbury MA 02132 United States
617-635-1194 (Fax)