Showing Collections: 1 - 30 of 31
Letters sent by the Mayor to all department heads. These volumes include the circular letters received by the Fire Commissioner.
Includes reports for accidents involving Fire Department vehicles from 1963-1989. Some photographs are included for major accidents.
Log books of the circuits in fire alarm cables. These are the circuits (wires) that connect to all of the fire boxes in the area of Engine's firehouse. These circuits are also used for sounding alarms. Includes index at the front of the book with references to each specific cable box.
Includes a set of Fire Alarm cards in use from 1960-1981 and a set that was in use in the 1950s as they are marked with updates in 1955. The Fire Department began using a card system for the fire alarm boxes in 1910. New sets were issued in 1910, 1921, 1929, 1960 and 1981. Includes a card for each fire alarm box in the City with information on the order of response and coverage of fire companies to alarms on the fire box. These sets were kept in each fire house in the City.
The original photographs are on display at the Fire Alarm Division at 59 The Fenway. The photographs in this collection were digitized by a member of the Fire Alarm Division and the files were made available to the City of Boston Archives.
House journals of the Fire Alarm Division and Communications Unit located in the Fenway. House journals are daily logs that record calls received and response, members present and other functions of house.
Administrative files of Superintendent of Fire Alarm circa 1930s-1970s
This collection consists of chronological bound volumes of the proceedings of the mostly daily meetings of the Board of Fire Commissioners, as well as the proceedings of what later became a single Fire Commissioner. The Board of Fire Commissioners was abolished and replaced by a single Fire Commissioner on July 1, 1895. The minutes record the actions of the Board of Fire Commissioners and the single Fire Commissioner on issues involving personnel, supplies, equipment, etc.
Small collection of 10 photographs donated to City Archives. Includes image of horse-drawn fire apparatus, undated; Fire Engine on Cambridge Street, undated; Engine 47 Fire Boat, 1948; Fire Department Banner on Washington Street, 1956; Fire on Brattle Street, 1959; 4 photographs of damage to North Station MTA, 1959; and Gil Jones and Fire Prevention Detail, 1961.
General Orders sent out to all station houses by the Fire Commissioner concerning administrative and personnel issues.
Registers recording names of firemen, engine company, date admitted and discharged. Beginning in 1837, compensation was given to firemen who served for six consecutive months with the same engine company.
Includes logs of the Fire Department medical examiner documenting sickness and injuries of Fire Department personnel, 1894-1928 with gaps.
Miscellaneous records documenting payroll for various departments. Includes Fire Department, 1829-1868 with gaps; Schools, 1833-1870 with gaps; Police, 1869-1870; Water Works, 1869-1870; Chestnut Hill Reservoir, 1868-1869; Lamps, 1869-1870; Paving, 1869-1870; Health, 1868-1869, Auditing, 1875-1885; Welfare, 1920-1923; and Institutions, 1922-1923.
Payroll lists for the Fire Department from 1876-1884, 1886-1889, 1902-1907, 1916-1924, 1927-1930, 1945, 1947, 1949, 1956-1969 and 1972.
Daily log books documenting alarms received with remarks from 1884-1905 with gaps.
Logbook of horses bought by the Fire Department from 1883-1911 with disposition and horses sold, died, destroyed or exchanged from 1900-1910.
Scrapbook and log of fires in Boston and other towns, 1841-1847.